I'm going to make this short, as the long version on facebook was not answered. After 3 years as a satisfied customer, I must say I'm deeply concerned about the customer service level at UM. 3 times in the last 2 months, I've had a total of almost 6 weeks downtime - all because of the customer service bad service! So, the 3 stories short:
1st time: Upgrade from 3play 100M to 200M. Customer service "forgets" repeatedly to activate my new fritzbox (upload option). No internet for a week. 10 calls
2nd time: Bought my own cable modem, called UM to register MAC and SN. Was done in 5 minutes, activation took over 20 calls. Was lied to about a "grossstörung". After a week, tried (of curiousity) to attach old Fritzbox modem from UM (which was inactive according to customer service). Worked like a charm. Outraged - for 1 week nothing had been done. Was going on vacation, half way into the next week the new fritzbox was finally activated (never got a message). No internet for almost 2 weeks. 20 calls
3rd time: Reported a house move online 2-3 weeks in advance. Activation date at new house set to 23rd of sep. In the morning, old connection stopped working (fine), but new one did not work. 20 more calls, tons of empty promises and incompetent people until I was told I need a technician visit. Even though error is the exact same as the 2 other times. Unfortunately, technician company is overloaded and can only provide technician in 2 weeks. Smart move UM... Technician came yesterday, very nice guy. Tested all connections and they worked, however after he phoned with the UM customer service, he found out they moved all our services to the very bad horizon box (this box really is bad!). He got the internet moved back to the fritzbox as it was supposed to be, however this has yet to work (maybe customer service lied to him too about doing it?). So far 3 weeks of downtime, a handy tarif which has by far exceeded 8 gb of usage and a lot of stress as no internet impacts my ability to work in the home.
So my questions are now:
- Why does the customer service not have appropriate training? It looks like they don't have a clue about anything regarding TCP/IP/DOCSIS or any other IT term related to the service.
- Why does none of them speak english? I tried multiple times (as I don't see my german sufficient enough to properly explain myself) to get some english speaking person but would either get hung up or thrown to another german-only person. It's not a good experience for foreign people like me.
- Why does customer service lie to me? Multiple times they said they would activate things but the workorder always remained open.
- Why is there no Level 2 support? I have CCDA, CCNA & CCNP (even fiber installation certifications) so I know what I'm talking about. Why can't one talk to some technical staff who knows their stuff when the Level 1 support is so useless?
- Why are your customer service so arrogant? Multiple times they tried to look like the better-knowing people, however as an IT professional, I can only laugh of this - as well as being concerned in regards to the general attitude towards customers.
- Why did the customer service move all my services to the horizon box when my internet was already running on the fritzbox? Since I have the upload option (10mb extra), which requires a fritzbox, shouldn't they have realized that something was not right? Even when I verified the MAC and SN with them several times? Why would I register a device which I'm not intending to use for anything?
- Regarding the move of my internet to the horizon box, why wasn't I informed about this as well?
- Why don't you hire more companies to do your technical work - or actually get your own technical staff? Do you believe 14 extra days of waiting time is fair for a customer who's been without internet for over a week at the time being?
- Why can I not see my active devices myself? Can't your developers code that into the website so I can at least get more abilities to do self-help on the internet connection? Could have helped in all 3 cases.
- How will I be compensated? I pay 85€ a month which is a ton of money, since customer service is not included. I need some compensation for this mess that UM caused.
- Why isn't it possible to speak to the manager in the callcenter? Is it a policy in UM that the front-end staff takes all the hits while the management hides in the back? I can imagine that many customers get a good service, however I have noticed increased amounts of bad experiences, so I know I'm not the only one. Especially the arrogance is a problem according to many people.
- To extend my previous question, you have a serious customer service problem. They are not organized, they deliberately lie to the customer about the situation, most of them has an arrogant atittude, there's no possibility of escalation and no sign of IT skilled people.
I guess it's easy to treat customers bad when they just extended for another 2 years, being loyal to the company. PS: The horizon box is really bad! Could I send this back and get a CI+ card in return? please?